The “adolescence” is a significant phase of transition from childhood to adulthood, which is marked by physical changes accompanied by psychological changes. This is the time to make adolescents aware of and informed about various facets of life in order to promote a healthy way of living. Awareness of health, nutrition, life style related behaviour and adolescent reproductive & sexual health needs to be positioned in this phase of life in order to improve the health of adolescent girls and facilitate an easier transition to womanhood. During this period, nutritional problems originating earlier in life as well as those occurring during the period itself can be addressed. The Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India started Rajiv Gandhi Scheme for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls “SABLA” in selected districts across the country, using the platform of ICDS.
The Centre successfully implemented a project entitle Rajiv Gandhi Scheme for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls “SABLA” in Suwana block of Bhilwara district of Rajasthan.
- Enabling self-development and empowerment of adolescent girls.
- Improving their nutrition and health status.
- Spread awareness among them about health, hygiene & nutrition.
- Reproductive and Sexual Health, family and child care.
- Upgrade their home based skills, life skills and vocational skills.
- Mainstream out of school adolescent girls into formal or non-formal education.
- Inform and guide them about existing public services, such as PHC, CHC, Post Office, Bank, Police Station etc.
Rajiv Gandhi Scheme for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls “SABLA” project was implemented in Suwana block of Bhilwara district.
6 sectors, 167 Anganwadi centres were covered in project.
Age group from 11 to 18 years old School going and out of school adolescent girls were targeted under SABLA project.
Programmes and activities carried out:-
Sakhi and Saheli training.
Strengthening sector meetings.
Organising adolescent girls meeting and activities.
Rajiv Gandhi Scheme for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls “SABLA” project duration was six months from February 2013 to July, 2013.
- Adolescent’s girls were informed and aware about Reproductive and Sexual Health, family and child care.
- Informed and awared about government schemes and facilities viz. PHC, CHC, Post Office, Bank, Police Station etc.
- Increased numbers of adolescent’s girls in SAKHI SAHELI meetings and benefitted supplementary nutrition.
- Improved documentation and reporting system from village level to block level.